The Motorcycle Theory And Practical Test

More Things You Should Know
Remember that the CBT training is not a test, so there’s no need to feel apprehensive about it. In fact, it’s designed to help you relax, and even enjoy it, as that’s the way you will learn best — even if you are doing it against your will. There’s no pressure, and you don’t have move on to any stage until you’re ready.

Motorcycle Theory & Practical Test
Once your instructor is satisfied that you can handle your bike safely and competently, you will be issued with your CBT Certificate or DL196 Certificate. You are then able to go on to train for a full motorcycle licence in any of the four categories. To get a licence in any category, you have to obtain a provisional moped or motorcycle licence, and you then have to take the theory & practical test, usually with 1-4 days of training in between. The theory test is a multiple choice exam which you sit at your nearest DSA test centre.

You may be wondering how much it will cost. This depends on how much training you need — some need more than others. The cost is likely to range from £200 for one day’s training, to £750 for 4 days.

There are four categories of motorcycle licence, plus the Accelerated Access.

1. Moped licence. You need to be 17 or over to go for your moped licence. A moped is a bike with an engine capacity no larger than 50cc and capable of a maximum speed of about 31 mph. You have to pass the theory test before you can start your training, and then take the practical test at a DSA test centre. You will then be able to ride a moped without L-plates, and carry a pillion passenger.
2. Light motorcycle licence (A1). To obtain an A1 licence you have to be 17 or over, and have your CBT. You also need to get a provisional licence and take your theory test, unless you already have a moped licence. Once you have completed your training, you will have to take your practical test on a machine with an engine capacity between 75cc and 125cc. When you have passed it, you can ride a bike of up to 125cc or 11kW capacity, and carry a pillion passenger.
3. Standard motorcycle licence (A2 — restricted). If you prefer to ride something a bit bigger, you need to go for the standard motorcycle licence. If you are aged 17-20, you have to take the A2 (restricted) licence. Again, you must have your CBT, and if you haven’t passed your moped test, you need to obtain a provisional motorcycle licence and pass your theory test. Then you can take whatever training you need to pass your practical test. For the practical test you will need a bike between 120 and 125cc capacity, capable of at least 100kph. Once you pass this, you can ride a bike without L-plates and can carry a passenger, but for two years you are restricted to a machine with a maximum output of 25kW or 33bhp, or maximum power-to-weight ratio of 0.16kW/kg. After the two years, you can ride any machine you can get hold of, without any more training or tests.
4. Accelerated Access. If you reach your 21st birthday while still in your two-year restricted period, you have the Accelerated Access option. This allows you to take your practical test on a machine with a power output of 35kW or 47bhp, and if you pass you can then have a full licence without waiting for your two years to be up.
5. Direct Access — Unrestricted Category A. Provided you are 21 or over, and have your CBT and your theory test, you can take your practical test on a machine with a 47bhp output. You are allowed to practise for the test on a bike of this size, provided you are always accompanied by a qualified Direct Access instructor, and wear fluorescent clothing at all times. . When you pass the test, you can ride any machine without L-plates, and carry a passenger.

Finally, remember that if you don’t pass your theory & practical test within two years of passing your CBT, you will have to take the CBT again.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *